I enjoy pretty much everything there is that has to do with the outdoors. Some of my most peaceful moments have been while walking through the forest, sitting on a beach, or boating (minus the loud engine). Accordingly I have a great respect for nature and enjoy learning about the plants and wildlife therein. My plan is to continue that learning process and hopefully enhance it by sharing what I learn. I intend for this blog to serve many purposes, but in the immediate future it will be a place for me, and hopefully others, to share ideas about reducing our individual impact on this planet, protecting wild spaces, and in general just to comment on the things we enjoy most in the great outdoors. I welcome all opinions as otherwise you cannot consider every aspect of a subject. However, I would ask that every opinion be expressed in a respectful way and considered with an open mind. Often there is no single right answer. Thanks.







Monday, January 2, 2012

Wildlife Photography at the Royal BC Museum

Today my husband, mother-in-law, and I took the kids to the Wildlife Photography Exhibit at the Royal BC Museum.  Wow!  The pictures were amazing.  They even have several categories for kids including an under 10, an 11-14, and a 15-17.  It was inspiring to see these beautiful photographs.  Most, if not all of them, would have taken incredible patience to capture.  I can only imagine what it would be like waiting for the perfect light, or perfect weather conditions, or that amazing moment when the object of your gaze favours you with the perfect action.

Each photograph was displayed alongside a caption that gave some background about the picture, the name of the photographer, and what type of camera and lens was used.  According to the Royal BC Museum website there are approximately 100 photographs displayed which were chosen from over 41,000 international entries.  According to wikipedia the first Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition took place in 1964 with only 600 entries.  While the competition is owned by The Natural History Museum, which is located in London, England, and BBC Wildlife Magazine the main sponsor has changed over time.

I would highly recommend this exhibit.  It is at the Royal BC Museum until April 9, 2012, which appears to be the only exhibit scheduled in Canada.  For a list of international locations and dates you can go The Natural History Museum website and use their search tool.  If you are unable to see it in person you can look at a slideshow of the images here or here.  You can also browse, and purchase, prints on-line via  The Natural History Museum website.  Not only will you find photographs from the 2011 competition, but also from previous years.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hello friends,

    I was very encouraged to find this site. I wanted to thank you for this special read. I definitely savored every little bit of it. Keep sharing it of.......

    Wildlife Photographer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete