I enjoy pretty much everything there is that has to do with the outdoors. Some of my most peaceful moments have been while walking through the forest, sitting on a beach, or boating (minus the loud engine). Accordingly I have a great respect for nature and enjoy learning about the plants and wildlife therein. My plan is to continue that learning process and hopefully enhance it by sharing what I learn. I intend for this blog to serve many purposes, but in the immediate future it will be a place for me, and hopefully others, to share ideas about reducing our individual impact on this planet, protecting wild spaces, and in general just to comment on the things we enjoy most in the great outdoors. I welcome all opinions as otherwise you cannot consider every aspect of a subject. However, I would ask that every opinion be expressed in a respectful way and considered with an open mind. Often there is no single right answer. Thanks.







Monday, January 3, 2011

Well here goes nothing...

My first blog post ever.  I have been thinking about starting a blog for the last few months, but was having trouble deciding on a topic and quite frankly was scared to start.  In addition to being a novice ecologist I am also a novice writer.  I decided the other day that never trying was worse than failing.

As far as topics go ecology and nature are so obvious I can't believe it didn't occur to me before.  My husband calls me a nature dork, my kids call me a bird dork (thanks to my husband) and there are few other topics that spark my interest in the same way.  For example I enjoy learning about native plants, invasive species, clean energy, options for recycling/reusing, and eco friendly cleaning products.

I have decided that I would like to learn more about ecology and sustainability and I figure blogging will be a useful tool to keep me on track.  Also, one of the best ways to retain what you learn is to teach someone else.  Therefore, I'm going to renew my efforts to learn more about environmental topics and then share what I have learned here in the hopes that it will stick.  I'll also include my ideas, my interests, and ways that I already try to reduce my impact on the environment. 

If any other novice ecologists read this blog please feel free to share your comments, ideas, and suggested readings.  If any accomplished writers happen across this blog please feel free to offer your constructive feedback on my writing.

My first goal is to see the exhibit at the Royal BC Museum on alien species.  A close second goal will be to pay more attention as the exhibit has obviously been around for awhile and I just heard about it yesterday.  I think I will aim for Thursday when the kids are in school...hopefully it's still there.

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading your posts! The recycling you do at home through reFUSE (http://www.refuse.ca) inspired me to do the same. I didn't know you could compost meat, fat, paper plates/cups, pizza, etc, until CRD's pilot composting project started (http://www.crd.bc.ca/waste/organics/pilot.htm). When I moved out of the area that had the pilot project, I found myself throwing a lot of stuff away that I used to compost.

    Keep the suggestions coming! They're good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this looks great Andrea....Good for you! I look forward to reading your blog, and this is the first blog I've become "a follower" too. :o)

    Tomorrow (Thursday) is the perfect day to go to the museum as it is admission by donation until Jan. 9. We were there this morning, and the alien species is still there, as is the "behind the scenes" exhibit........it's really cool too!
    Keep those entries coming, and congratulations on starting this up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this was the Advice Ecologist as I wanted to ask where this celery came from. But I see I was misinformed.

    ReplyDelete